A life changed
Today was a day that deserves a post.
A post expressing gratitude for being able to spend my life changing lives one dog at a time. Some 20ish years ago, my friend Penny Bush put a tiny black lab in my arms named Ruby.
I was a shiny faced volunteer puppy-raiser - going to college full time and my son convinced me (somehow?!? after a presentation by BC Guide Dogs to his class no less) that we should raise a super hero (for the record BCGDS rejected my application because I was a college student 😜 but PADS welcomed me with open arms). The rest as they say is history!
PADS has changed my life for the better in so very many ways, it has brought into my life so many people, puppies, and opportunities.
This organization has given me some of my very dearest friends on this planet!
PADS helped me raise my children into kind, compassionate, generous souls that love animals and willingly go through heartbreak to help their community.
It’s raised me into a person that sees the value in showing up each day with the very best version of myself, honestly, I know more than anyone she be rough some days — but damn it’s a good feeling to work for an organisation that saw my worth and potential and brought out the very best in me.
It’s not always been an easy road, but nothing worth doing is ever easy.
When my illness took much of my mobility I made the transition I never imagined from puppy raiser and breeder caretaker to client. The PADS team rallied around me - they were extraordinary in so many ways… they built a ramp so I could get to my office, my team would show up with water and snacks at my desk on days I struggled to walk (pre “Pete” my wheelchair). Most of all, I will forever be grateful to Margaret, Emma, Lisa and Laura for bringing my Cadey girl back to me as a Mobility Service Dog after her breeding career.
It was a privilege to be part of the team that brought PADS back from the brink to a multi million dollar org that earned the well deserved respect of programs all around the world. That first year we placed a single solitary mobility dog team - woot woot Rob - and goooo Nicole and Walker!!! 😜❤️
PADS has taken me places I never imagined! Board meetings in Brussels, conferences in Florida, ADI strat planning sessions at the amazing Dog Guides Canada campus and even a “farewell tour” with Cadence after her retirement to Air Canada headquarters in Montreal.
I can say without a doubt it’s been the the greatest honour of my life to serve PADS clients and its mission.
Some of you were around all those years ago when I brought home my first puppy,
I was a lost lady with a couple young kids and a broken heart after my pup had passed away. I wasn’t sure who I was or what I wanted to do with my life but PADS walked that wild journey with me - through personal and professional victories and challenges - to find the badass, confident woman I am today.
I’ve had the privilege of learning from, working with and even leading the best of the best. Literally the most brilliant people in the assistance dog industry and non-profit world (I would name them but the list would never end, so please enjoy the ridiculously perfect photos in the reel).
I’ve had the privilege of learning and growing alongside a remarkable organisation. But life is nothing if there’s no change and growth, and today is no different. Today marks it’s the end of an era and the beginning of a new adventure.
PADS and I have made the mutual decision to part ways. Please rest assured, I’m good - I’m healthier and stronger than I’ve been in a really long time. I’m excited about the season ahead and all that my future holds (ya don’t survive this level of health crisis without grabbing every single moment by the cahonays).
Finally, to the crew at PADS, I am sending you all my love - I will be cheering you on from afar and sincerely hope our paths cross again (so y’all better keep in touch)!!! ❤️❤️❤️
On that day 20 years ago my welcome folder said: “changing lives one dog at a time” and today I can say without a doubt my life is the one that was changed the most!!!


Comments
Post a Comment