100 Words Is Not Nearly Enough | Father's Day 2012

The number 8 has been ringing in my mind today, and it's only now at 1:51 in the morning that I realize that this day, Sunday, June 17th is the 8th Father's Day that I'll celebrate Dad from a distance.

So much has happened in 8 years, his beloved T'ea and Matthew have turned into amazing young adults; smart, kind, funny, compassionate, and always willing to drop everything to help someone (especially me) - such wonderful traits skipping into the next generation!

They dwarf Mom just like Dad did! Matthew remembers how to give "Poppa Hugs" in fact he has mastered it.  He's said for years, "Hey you, C'mere" right before hugging me with all his might, it was only a few weeks ago, with his now deep "man" voice, that I realized that this unique beckon was something I'd heard so many years before.

The things you forget....and the things you remember....

My little Trea, who never got to meet Dad, has his quick wit and love that goes to the point of tears.  

Ryan is more like him every passing day. Kind, intelligent, committed, responsible, successful, deeply thoughtful.    He'd be so incredibly proud of him.  

Mom is - as always - the beautiful woman he fell in love with.  She's happy, successful, and published her first book this year. 

I miss him so much.  
  • Picking up the phone and hearing "Hey Beautiful!"
  • Talking to him about what I'm learning, and arguing with him about his very firm opinions on it...having a better opinion of my own as a result. 
I realize as I write this that I'm crying for the first time in a very long time.  I smile these days when I think of him, I'll pull his fisherman's sweater on when I take the dogs for a walk, intentionally pulling the collar close enough that the lingering smell of diesel and salt air—from years of mucking around in boats—engulfs me with happy memories.

He was a man of immense love, strong opinions, impeccable character, and great intelligence. 

Happy Father's Day Dad...





Comments

  1. Beautiful, as always, Tara!! Brought tears to my eyes - for the amazing men in our lives who left long before we were ready!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Beth - thinking of you today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish we all could have met your dad. He sounds amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts