Thoughts Wanted: A post of a practical nature

As many of you know I'm doing my masters research at the moment.  The image below (click it to see a larger version and click it again to zoom in) was something I created to help me visualize my data -- and represents all of the qualities that appeared in my data sample.

  • The words  indicate qualities that were used to describe traits of women leaders in a positive way. 
  • Connections (lines) indicate the terms appeared in an article/blog post together. 
  • Line weight indicates frequency (how often those two terms appeared together).  

For example, Assertiveness and Kindness appeared together more often than any other two qualities (as indicated by the thick blue line connecting them).  Humour was the least mentioned trait (though appearing alongside the top three qualities of Assertiveness, Authenticity and Kindness).  Once the top 9 qualities were graphed in colour, there were no more lines to draw (as the other terms were only connected back to these 9).

I know, it's crazy busy and might give you nightmares, it has definitely done this for me.  I've been looking at it for a really long time and may have hit my threshold of seeing anything new.  I'm curious what you see—does anything strike you as odd or interesting, or unusual?  Whether it's how things are connected or what things appear in the data (or don't for that matter) -- does anything surprise or make you wonder?

As I'm entering what I hope is my final draft, I'd love to hear what others think...

Leave your thoughts in the comments --- k thanks buh bye!

Comments

  1. Kindness seems to factor highly with traits that some may consider less feminine (i.e., assertiveness, confidence, drive), or less positive in a woman than in a man. I'm not agreeing here, just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and I think alike my dear, and you're right assertiveness, confidence and drive are all in "symbolic domain of the male" (loved how one of my authors worded this...not the male domain, but the symbolically male domain LOL)

      Delete
    2. Even if one perceives of the traits of assertiveness and drive as "male domain" they would seldom be used in descriptions of male leaders. Is it assumed that men have those traits but only certain women do?

      A word that seems glaringly absent "compassion"

      Delete
    3. Hey Kathy, this is a wonderful insight -- also, compassion is present, I should have explained that these terms came from the high level analysis, the more microscopic analysis included nearly 70 terms (some of which were combined if they were synonyms or where the literature indicated it should be) compassion was present and is included under kindness.

      Still baffled that intelligence is not discussed...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts