On Pregnancy and Pregnant Pauses


Well my friends.  This month is a momentus one.  It is:
  • Two years since I left my great, wonderful secure job.
  • My 40th birthday
  • The beginning of a new chapter in my life.

You see, I've fallen hard.

One of my professional idols, Rahel Anne Bailey used the term "Promance" to describe that professional relationship that crosses the line from the usual respect and admiration, to something that resembles more of a schoolgirl crush, complete with goosebumps, driven purely by professional respect and awe (don’t worry it’s all professional here people -- office romance is never a good idea).

I'd heard the term.  I have a few people in my world that would fall in that category.  Brilliant people who inspire me with their greatness (usually in areas in which I flail):
  • My RRU partner in crime Heather: Creative and sarcastic she is a brilliant marketer and my voice of practical reason in all things (the fact that she gave me a snowmobile to ride hard and fast on pristine trails doesn't hurt either).
  • My friend Keryn: She's both soft and warm and fiercely driven -- she's an entrepreneur extraordinaire and owner of Farm Fairy Fiber. She works a second job, and dyes her own handspun yarn so she can build this awesome business (and be a full time mom to her super sweet boy Lucas).
  • Laura Watamanuk, Executive Director at PADS: This people person extraordinaire seems to have mastered the art of inspiring people hard, asking for the moon (and not giving up until you give it to her) AND not putting up with any disrespect or crap along the way (A skill I hope to someday possess).
  • My clients at Taylor Made Media - I wish I could name just one, but it's not possible, these ladies are fierce and brilliant in ways that are so inspiring.  Joyce, Suzette, Hardish, Natasha, Stef, Megan... they are wickedly sharp and I'm pretty sure I learn as much from them as they do from me.  My work for them stretches me in ways I can't describe.  They are thinkers, and doers, and boldness and perfection are deeply embedded. 

But then.  Then there was Dana. 

I must confess: I hated Dana.  Hate might seem like a strong word, but what do you say about someone that announces—as you're in the final throws of your latest MA assignment just hours before the deadline—that she's completed the next one.  I maybe wanted to hurt her a little.

Every. Single. Assignment.

For two years. She was done before any of us had even recovered from our late night writing, deadline pushing, redbull induced hangovers.

It was a confusing 'hate' -- in person she was so lovely.  I mean LOOK AT HER.  How do you hate funny and witty and stupidly beautiful?!

But then the facebook posts. The efficiency, the lack of procrastination.  Ughh.  Just UGH. I made conversation with this enigma of a woman, we laughed and shared drinks, we performed a murder mystery together. But mostly I wished on her an imploding hard drive or computer virus to slow her down or at least make her sweat...even just once.

The proposal

Two years ago next week I posted in panic in my RRU group's private Facebook page that I'd given my notice at work, and I was more than a little panicked about what was next.  Within seconds, messenger alerted (lightning speed people -- this is trademark Dana).  All it said was this "Talk to no one until you talk to me" (or something along those lines).

And the conversation that followed was the beginning of THE Promance to end all promances.  Not to diminish those listed above (who remain firmly lodged in my professional awe). But when it comes to promances, Dana is marriage material.

As it turns out she needed someone who didn't hate social media, her business was thriving but her customers needed more.  The more they needed happened to be my wheelhouse.  

I said "Yes"

676 Communications and Koch Ink made good bedfellows.  If you know her you know she is both a fount of creativity, and a a picture of efficient excellence.  She moves at the speed of light with laser precision. Two years later, Dana has brought colour and life to my clients, strategies and tactics. I have treasured her insight and inspiration, and value the hundreds of conversations, text messages, phone calls and early morning/late night meetings.

The pregnancy

I remember the conversation(s) I had with Dana, in those early days, about whether I was making a mistake.  She breathed belief into me.  That I had something of value to offer, that I needed to charge more for my services not less.

Today I gave up on my dreams for 676 Communications and am formally folding it as an active business.  I thought it would be bittersweet to say goodbye to 676...the first business I've ever built from the ground up (unless you count Tara's Pet Care Services that I started when I was 9...if no one else my Mom will...).  But it's not hard for a lot of reasons.  My first month I barely slept and made a whopping 799 dollars and 7 cents.  Let's not talk about how much I was making when I left my job. I don't think I've had a solid week of good sleep since.  It was a labour of love. And survival. 676 thrived in large part because of the support network I've had.

The pregnant pause

Not all businesses are destined to last forever.  676 is one of those.  It was good while it lasted. Great even. 

The Bouncing Baby Berry

It is my intense privilege...and joy, joy, JOY...to share with my people: Family, friends, the assembled multitude (particularly the 24 people who have been posting and hounding me since FRIDAY to spill the beans based on my vaguebooking).

The birth of Spryberry Creative Strategy.

Dana and I have formed a new firm, that is named for how we operate: nimble on strategy and fresh (one might even say JUICY)  on creative. A group that is both rich in experience and history, that breathes passion and begins and ends with solid strategy. We are fortunate to have assembled a team of some of the most talented people I've ever worked with.

We considered vows and rings, she and I, but opted instead for toasting glasses (over FaceTime) on Friday afternoon once we were "launch ready". I couldn't be happier.  Perhaps the only thing better than doing what you love is sharing the adventure with someone as passionate about it as you are.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts